Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Good Day

I woke up this morning curled next to David. I don't even know if he noticed, but I did.

I took Marin to have her school picture taken. It was re-take day; the original picture day was a NIGHTMARE wherein we waited for almost 2 hours during LUNCH/NAP TIME, and in the end Marin refused to even leave my arms. Today? We walked in, no line, she jumped on the stool and smiled so sweetly I almost cried. WIN.

We came home and sorted laundry and she was actually, truly helpful. Also: cheerful, sweet.

The sun is shining through our windows, making the whole house happy. The fall colors are peaking- oranges and reds so vibrant they look fake. The thermometer reads 68 degrees. Cold is coming, but right now delicious warmth remains.

The washing machine is chugging away, the dryer thumping along. I found the box of Halloween decorations. I did a few chores I've been dreading, and it feels great to get those monkeys off my back.

Kate and Joan are bringing a friend home after school. I'm making them caramel apples and popcorn and hoping they will think raking leaves is "fun". (Fingers crossed.)

I'm wearing my favorite worn and hole-y sweatshirt. It's the one I wore to give tours of a gold mine in back in college.

My big girls don't have school tomorrow, and I'm so glad. I realized recently that I miss them, now that school has started.

In short, it's a good day.

Nothing has changed, nothing at all. And yet...

6 comments:

Jess said...

So glad you're having a nice day. Hopefully this is the start of you shifting back toward David. And him shifting back toward you.

d e v a n said...

That does sound like a nice day.

Erica said...

First of all, I'd like a caramel apple, please. Lots of nuts.

Also, this post makes my heart happy for you.

StephLove said...

I remember my first good day after my father died last winter. It felt so strange to be able to take pleasure in small things again.

Erin said...

This makes me want to go out and have a good day too.

The Dog Is My Favorite said...

Isn't it amazing how when your heart is smiling everything is just gorgeous around you? Your day sounds lovely and I'm so glad for you.